Friday 26 June 2009

Idols


Johnny Cash....Alien Rhythm....Man in Black....



I have wanted to do a series of self portraits for a while now. I always new they wouldn't be 100% realised and representational as that is not how I roll....I like to mix a bit of everything into one portrait. I must admit sometimes I found balancing the composition quite difficult, and I think in future to pull this look off I need to do it on a larger scale, or just less busy!!
Below is a photo of the whole Johnny Cash piece, however I did some close ups to show how the burning over PVA glue creates the spider Web effect....and the close ups them selves make an interesting painting in themselves......






















Marilyn Monroe.......
All the paintings in this series involve using some Andy Warhole inspired techniques, mixed with ideas established from David Hockney Joiners. I didn't start the pieces with any particular composition in mind, however after creating a joiner the painting and layering effects I have achieved flowed quite easily. I created most of my layering through the use of the one and only blow torch! I don't no where I would be without it! This is down to the sometimes unpredictable, sometimes faultless effect it adds to almost any surface. My favourite kind of 'burn' is over PVA glue, I'm no junky like, but the effect is immense. Burning also works well over any paint, especially oils although you need some serious water or wet tea towel at the ready as if your using turps you can imagine what happens.


I use photos of the idols features in the paintings, and either paint over them or repeat the same facial expression through drawing it in myself. This mixed media approach provides depth and detail to the paintings, and allows my own personal improvement of realist drawings. Something which I am constantly trying to perfect.......Watch this space as I am currently creating another larger piece using super hero's!!


















No comments:

Post a Comment